Thursday, April 11, 2013

On Sunday I did some homework, and then in the afternoon Brittany and I took a break and walked through Regent's Park because it was gorgeous out. It has finally warmed up here. Throughout the week it's stayed nice and warmer, but all I did was do homework. I had my last week of classes so now all I have is next week's exams and then Friday I get to head back home!

Today after History, Jeni, Anna, Lisa, and I walked across The O2!!! It was SO fun. I had a really great time and I'm glad I told them about it and planned it. When we got there we had to fill out a form with our contact details and an emergency contact. Then we went into this room and watched a brief safety video. Our climbing guide then came in and showed us how to put on the harness. We walked to a different room where we got our climbing suits and the harness and then we put them on. Once everyone in the group was ready, we went up some stairs to the platform where we start climbing up. He told us how to work the safety thing. A worker also took our photo that we could purchase at the end. We liked our picture, so we each bought a copy. Anna was the first to go, then Jeni, me, and Lisa. We were leading the way. The first stretch was hard, because it was pretty steep and I don't have the best upper body strength. The thing that we walked on was called like 'tensile fabric' but I believe it was just like the material that trampolines are made out of, or very similar. We had to hold onto the cable thing to help pull us up. Since I'm shorter, my pulley thingy wouldn't slide nicely along the cable, so I had to hold it and drag it along. The guide said that you have to be the right height for it to glide nicely, which I'm not at that height. I felt like we just kept climbing up and up and up. We climbed 52 meters. At the top there was a platform where we spent about 20 minutes or so taking in the views and getting our pictures taken. It was really pretty. After that we had to make our way down. That was pretty easy, but it hurt my knees. We had to like put our arm over the cable to help us since it was steep going back down. I went at a slow and steady pace because I didn't feel like tripping or falling up there. Once we got to the bottom we turned in the outfits and harnesses. We decided we deserved a treat so we stopped at the TGI Friday's in The O2 and the other girls got margaritas, but I chose to get a triple berry daiquiri. It was yummy. I'm sure I will feel the muscles that I used climbing up and down The O2 tomorrow. It really tired us out, so hopefully we can all sleep well tonight.

 Anna, Lisa, me, Jeni in our gear ready to climb!
 View from the top


 Lisa and I



 Anna and I
 Jeni and I

 Our attractive backsides
We did it!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Claire,

    I'm impressed! You are the adventureous one! What a view from up there! But I'll bet the climb was exhilerating too. Everyone did great and what a reward! It's nice to see you enjoying yourself so much and smiling a lot! I think this semester has been really good for you! Are you glad you did this semester in London? I think I know the answer!
    Have you finsihed most of your classes? Has the reading tapered off?
    We can't wait to see you again. But wait a while...it hasn't warmed up here yet!! We had an ice storm on Wednesday and today it is snowing!! We need a more reliable Ground Hog!!

    Great pictures Claire...great story!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad I did this semester in London. I've met so many nice people and done so many things. Last week was our last week of classes. Now we have our finals, which for each class is 2 essay questions. So I have to write 8 essays between 4 days. The British just love essays over here.

      Delete